Promoting Health, Safety and Equity during COVID-19
- Reverse the escalating use of Florida’s Baker Act on children. Learn more.
- Integrate school-based mental health counseling with community services. Learn more.
- Ensure prenatal care for all women throughout the full term of pregnancy followed by post-delivery care. Learn more.
- Increase KidCare eligibility limits, eliminating the gap between children who do not currently qualify but whose parents can’t afford health insurance. Learn more.
- Continue to make full use of the optional SNAP benefits so no child or family goes hungry. Learn more.
- In Florida’s Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) program, require a bachelor’s degree and experience for lead teachers, a CDA or equivalent for assistant teachers, and improve vision, health and hearing screenings. Learn more.
- Require by law public school programs teaching the dangers and warning signs of human trafficking in health education. Learn more.
Stop Institutionalized Child Trauma
- Address investigation and response to abuse and abuse allegations within the foster care system. Learn more.
- Oppose locking up dependent child victims of abuse, neglect, trafficking and other traumas. Compel the provision of needed services. Learn more.
- Ban the use of seclusion with students with disabilities. ONLY allow restraints if documented proof exists to prevent harm. Learn more.
- Stop the harmful practice of conversion therapy on children who identify as LGBTQ. Learn more.
- Pilot respite care/diversion options for girls charged with domestic violence. Learn more.
- End the practice of placing youth in solitary confinement. Learn more.
Overcoming Barriers to Success
- Reduce the practices and policies that keep youth in the juvenile justice system for non-criminal behavior, including fines and fees and technical violations of probation. Learn more.
- Reform criminal record expunction laws to protect the futures of human trafficking victims and justice-involved youth. Learn more.
- Provide childcare subsidies and respite care to foster parents. Learn more.
- Improve foster parent recruitment and retention practices and expand the successful models of foster parent support. Learn more.
- Enact research-based solutions to protect young children in motor vehicles in private or public transportation. Learn more.
- Early Steps assessment of each child age birth-to-3 in the child welfare system and provision of service for those who qualify. Learn more.
Systemic Improvements and Administrative Remedies
- Create a Blueprint Commission to examine and make recommendations to improve Florida’s child welfare system. Learn more.
- Establish requirements for board membership of Community Based Care agencies, set maximum number of caseloads and judicial circuits served. Learn more.
- Establish reporting guidelines for the use of civil citations, including data for second- and third- time issuances. Learn more.